The Hidden Power of Smiling
I recently watched a TED talks video called “The Hidden Power of Smiling” by Ron Gutman. In this video, Ron speaks about the importance of smiling and how smiling positively impacts our life.
Here are some key facts from the video:
- We are made/born to smile. 3-D ultrasound videos show babies smiling in the womb
- Children smile 400x per day
- It is so hard to frown when you’re looking at someone who is smiling, therefore, smiling is contagious
- The act of smiling makes us feel better and feel good
- 1 smile can generate the same brain stimulation of up to 2,000 bars of chocolate
- Smiling can make you healthier — reduce the amount of stress hormones (cortisol)
- Smiling is associated with an increase in mood enhancing endorphins and decrease in blood pressure
- Smiling can make you look good in the eyes of others — more likeable, courteous, competent, more attractive
- Smiling helps you live a longer and happier life (increases your lifespan)
My homework for you: smile often. Smile at your coworkers. Smile at your family, your friends, your spouse. Smile in every situation you can.
I bet you the picture of the baby made you smile!