The Awesomeness of Grapefruit
I have to admit, I have never been a fan of grapefruit, and I still am not 100% in love with the aftertaste, but I have been having grapefruits more regularly now. Why? There are so many benefits! Here are the benefits of grapefruit based on Tone It Up’s website:
- Curbs your appetite, creating a full feeling in your tummy!
- Stimulates the liver to activate fat burning enzymes, that break down fatty acids in the body.
- Contains a flavonoid called naringin that helps with your insulin levels. It’s the reason for the bitter taste, but we add a littte stevia. Grapefruit is amazing as a weight loss food because it’s low glycemic Index, meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar levels. Naringin also helps with insulin sensitivity. The hormone insulin is released when your blood sugar spikes, causing you to crash, store the calories as fat and be hungrier sooner. Grapefruit actually lowers insulin levels which helps to keep your blood sugar levels steady so the calories are used as energy instead.
- Naringin also promotes lean muscle growth in an anabolic state (after those workouts when your body is repairing!)
- Contains cancer-fighting compounds like liminoids and lycopene
- Packed with over 200mg of vitamin C & has other vitamins such as A, B complex (for hair skin & nails), E & K.
- Contains calcium, folic acid (eat up prenatal mamas!), phosphorus & potassium
- Has an alkaline reaction after digestion ~ helping you stay balanced!
- Contains bioflavonoids that have been found to lower excess estrogen levels and helps to stop breast cancer from spreading.
- Curbs that sweet tooth!
- Assists in digestion
- Helps with detoxing the liver.. after a fun night out with the girls!
Posted on November 25, 2013, in General, Health, Nutrition, Weight Loss and tagged Blood sugar, Flavonoid, glycemic index, Grapefruit, Health, Insulin, Taste, Weight loss. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.