What your Cravings are Telling You
Did you know if you crave something, you may be lacking specific nutrients?
Here is a list of cravings we commonly have and what they mean, according to Lauren Conrad.
1. Sweets – chromium, carbon phosphorous, sulfur, and tryptophan. Get these by filling up on, fresh fruit, cheese and sweet potatoes when you have a sweet tooth. This craving may also mean you’re tired, according to Shape.com. Try to boost your energy in other ways such as going for a walk outside or taking a quick exercise break.
2. Carbs – nitrogen, which is found in high-protein foods like fish, meat, nuts, and beans. Eat a turkey burger, a handful of almonds, or a black bean burrito bowl. It is possible you’re craving them because you’re cutting them out of your diet completely.
3. French fries, soda, pizza – your body needs calcium. Lauren Conrad’s suggestion is: fix a kale salad with steamed broccoli, chicken, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
4. Caffeine – your body needs salt and iron. These nutrients can be found in things such as lean meats (turkey or chicken, eggs, black cherries, craving caffeine can also mean you’re actually just really thirsty or dehydrated, according to Huffington Post.
5. Salty Foods – your body needs chloride. This nutrient, as Lauren states, is essential in order for your body to maintain healthy digestion and keep your electrolyte levels in check, according to Nutritional Wellness.