Food Friday: Italian Meatball Sliders by Clean Eating
Serves: 12 Hands-on time: 20 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced roasted red bell peppers (packed in water and drained)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup natural jarred marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 24 cocktail-size whole-grain pitas or buns, split, toasted lightly if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine turkey, garlic, egg white, onion, bell peppers, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Gently mix until combined. Using a spoon or small scooper, from into patties about 1 scant tbsp each, making about 24 sliders; place on sheet. (MAKE AHEAD: Prepare patties up to one day in advance, wrap tray in plastic wrap an refrigerate.)
- Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip patties over. Bake for 5 more minutes. Remove patties from oven; spoon marinara over each patty and sprinkle each with cheese, dividing evenly. Switch oven to broiler setting on high, return to oven and broil for 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through and cheese is bubbling. Using a fork or tongs, transfer each patty into a pita or bun.
Nutrients per serving (2 meatball sliders): Calories: 213, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 554 mg, Cholesterol: 21 mg
Recipe by: Cara Lyons
Picture by: Maya Visnyei
Just as an added note, I highly recommend you check out Tosca Reno’s Clean Eating Cookbooks and subscribe to hear Clean Eating magazine. Everything, and I mean literally everything, I have tried from these books have been delicious.
Posted on December 20, 2013, in Food Fridays, Nutrition, Weight Loss and tagged clean eating, delicious, Guilt Free, Italiam Meatball, Meatball, Sliders, Tosca Reno, yummy. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.