Mmm I love tacos
Check out this healthy recipe from Eating Well!
Makes: 1 serving
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- Top tortillas with salsa and cheese. Heat in the microwave until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat, add egg substitute and cook, stirring, until the eggs are cooked through, about 90 seconds. Divide the scrambled egg between the tacos.
Per serving: 153 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 0 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat
Check out the website for the picture and other great recipes!!
Looking for a quick and delicious breakfast? I always am! Check out this recipe from Eating Well that only takes 15 minutes!
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped (optional)
- 1 ounce smoked salmon
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Add egg whites, salt and capers (if using) and cook, stirring constantly, until whites are set, about 30 seconds.
- To make the sandwich, layer the egg whites, smoked salmon and tomato on English muffin.
Per serving: 214 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 670 mg sodium; 221 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Good source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
Looking for a quick and super cheap breakfast idea? Check out this Avocado Breakfast Pita from Budget Bytes
- ½ round pita pocket $0.17
- 1 large egg $0.23
- 1 handful baby spinach $0.53
- ¼ medium avocado $0.22
- to taste sriracha hot sauce $0.05
- to taste salt & pepper $0.02
- Cook the egg in a skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Just before removing from the pan, add sriracha or your favorite hot sauce.
- While the egg is cooking, slice the avocado. Place the avocado slices inside the pita and smoosh them over the surface of one side of the pita with the back of a spoon or a knife.
- Stuff the spinach and egg into the pita as well. Either serve as is or cook the pita in the skillet on both sides to make it crispy.