If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say “I don’t have time to work out” or “I keep gaining weight because I sit at my desk all day long. I can’t help it. I have a desk job”… I would be a very rich girl. Finally I’d be able to afford my Lamborghini (but that’s beside the point). So often people use sitting at their desk job an excuse for not working out. Sometimes it’s a viable excuse but sometimes it really is just that — an excuse. To all those people who are looking to workout/not gain weight while at work, researchers at the Penn State College of Medicine may have the answer to your problems… the SMALL ELLIPTICAL EXERCISE DEVICE!
Researchers have found that most Americans gain 1-2 pounds per year through being sedentary by spending 11 hours a day sitting (taking into account transportation, sitting in front of a computer and sitting in front of a TV). Researchers at Penn State selected 32 participants to use this device while they were sitting at work. Variables such as heart rate and energy produced were examined while participants used this machine. Results from this study found that 86% of individuals who used this machine worked hard enough to not have the 1-2 lbs of weight gain at the end of the year. The other 14 percent of people could have similar/the same affects if they increased their speed while being on the elliptical. Pretty cool, huh? (Rovniak et al, 2014)
Penn State (2014, January 22). Small elliptical exercise device may promote activity while sitting. ScienceDaily. Retrieved January 23, 2014, from http://www.sciencedaily.com
Just as an FYI, I looked up this nifty little machines and they cost approximately $150. I’d say it’s worth the try if you’re looking for a way to be healthier while at work and being sedentary.
For more information, check out the article on Science Daily: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140122091944.htm#%2EUuEjskWUJ6c%2Etwitter