Winter is coming (boo!) which means the cold weather is coming. Less people are walking outside, which means more of us are sitting on the couch, trying to be warm. Don’t let the cold weather detour you from your goals of living an active life. If you were walking outside because you aren’t a fan of working out in the gym, you don’t have time to travel to the gym and workout or your finances do not allow you to go to the gym, there are many different ways you can be active instead.
There are many different ways to beat the cold, stay indoors and still get a really great exercise in — some are even for free! Here are a list of cardio exercises you can do at home:
1. Run or walk up and down the stairs for 10 minutes at a time
2. Jumping jacks
3. Burpees (yeah, yeah… I know… but they are AWESOME for you!)
4. Jumping on a mini trampoline
5. When watching TV, briskly march on the spot on TV commercial breaks
6. Youtube exercise videos (my personal favourites are the Tone it Up videos by Karena and Katrina)
7. Skipping – either with or without a jump rope
8. Running on the spot with high knees
9. Dancing around the house while cleaning/playing with your kids
Remember, you do not have to exercise for an hour at a time in order to reap benefits. Research says that exercising as little as ten minutes at a time can have significant health benefits. Just remember, activities should be moderate to vigorous.
What is moderate and what is vigorous?
Moderate activities: you are able to talk, but you wouldn’t be able to sing
Vigorous activities: you can say more than a few words without pausing for a breath
1. Cross Country Skiing
3. Downhill skiing
4. Tobogganing (you have to lug your sleigh back up the hill, right?)
6. Building snow forts and throwing snowballs at each other (now, play nice of course) Hope this list helped you figure out some great ways to stay active this winter! What are some of the things you are doing for physical activity? Comment below! Pictures from: http://www.sceniccaves.com/activities/nordic-centre/cross-country-skiing/ and http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercises-commercial-breaks-2755.html